Littlemorrows

My Mama don't allow no music in here...

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The funniest thing happened on the way to work the other day

I suppose most everyone has heard that I was in a car wreck yesterday. Alas.
I was driving on Hwy 40, and I must say, I was actually really far from the guy in front of me. But the traffic in front of him slowed down pretty fast, and when I looked in front of me, I saw he was braking. I put on my brakes and skidded for about 20 feet (I think I drove by my skid marks this AM). I was still going pretty fast when I hit him... there was debris flying up when we hit, which turned out to be only from my car, wouldn't you know it, and then he pulled over and I pulled over behind him. Thankfully (to God) we were both ok - it could have been a lot worse.

It's weird how people assume that a crash is not your fault. It was my first day of work, so these people didn't know me, but they said things like, "Oh, but it wasn't your fault, right?" One guy said in an perturbed voice, "Man, you just can't trust drivers on Highway 40. It is just crazy out there." To which I shook my head sadly and agreed.

I don't know why I wasn't watching the road - I was looking a little to the side but I wasn't distracted by anything in particular. Although I did remember recently that I hadn't been able to fall asleep the night before for some reason, so that probably had something to do with the wreck. I had fallen asleep the first time around 3 and gotten up at 6 after lying in bed staring at my clock.

Today I took a picture of my car with Brian's digital camera: here. It looks sort of bad, but we bent a few places back and it's still driveable.

12 comments:

The Blog Marm said...

Man, I'd hate to see the other guy's car!!! You didn't tell me they had to pry you out with a jaws-of-life!
I'm so, so thankful you and the other person are both okay. Please be careful, and get enough sleep when you are able to. It would probably be hard to sleep the night before a new job.

Anonymous said...

It looks like it. I don't recognize the jacket though...is it new, Ben?

Anonymous said...

Ben,is that your car or the other guy's car???!!!

Ben said...

yep, that's me. The jacket is new by the way.

Ben said...

:`) And Sam, I think I got you...I guess they told you.

Anonymous said...

Hey,hey,hey,Ben,when I looked in the picture I noticed something particular about you.Did you get a haircut or somethin'?

Ben said...

oh yeah, you guys haven't seen me in a while but that's me - I got tired of having hair.

The Blog Marm said...

Benj, I'm having some problems with a drawer to my file cabinet. It is bent & doesn't work very well. Think you & Brian could come pop it back into shape? You did wonders with that car if you got it driving.....

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to comment on that picture for a few days now. I really had a guttural laughing session when I first saw it. The way you set it up was funny. I then proceeded to tell my kids that if they ever decide to run off the road not to hit a tree because they are very unforgiving. I bet the engine for that car is 200' away.

Ben said...

Cool...there was another picture I was going to use of a car that wasn't quite so beat up, but the picture was called "Dawn's car", and Dawn was there with her car, so I decided not to.

I really did pull my car back into shape some yesterday. I tied a rope to a bar on the front frame of my car and got Brian to let me pull it with his Explorer. I just drove really slowly with Brian watching my car, and it did actually turn out looking a lot better, although one of the headlights has a smashed casing. Oh, and there are a few holes in the bumper. And the hood is somewhat bent... So it still doesn't look like it used to, but I was proud of myself.

The Blog Marm said...

Dad wants to know if you can drive at night? Okay, I just realized there are several ways you might take that question......maybe you can figure out which one he means & answer that one :) Probably wasn't your plan......

Ben said...

hmmm. Technically, yes, I am quite good at it.
The broken headlight works when I have my lights on bright, but it doesn't focus well b/c some of the reflecting stuff is broken off. And the other headlight doesn't point up enough.
So I am trying not to drive at night unless I have to.