I had a recital last Friday, and it went pretty well. I had good friends helping with the preparations, and I think it was, as Dr. Willis (my piano professor) said, "a success." We got some nice pictures from the event, and Dr. W made a recording of it for me, which is kind of hard to hear but still nice to have. Several close friends and family members showed up, and gave me much encouragement.
Before the recital was rather interesting...I remember meeting James and Jessica when they arrived on campus, hanging out with them and Logan and Cassandra and having pizza, going to the recital of the person before me so I could get the key from him (the music library closes earlier on Fridays so I couldn't get it from there), running back to the room to put on my suit, riding in the back of Lo's truck, lugging a chair and lamps to the Organ Hall, and various other things. In my Professional Music class just a few days earlier, someone had talked about the importance of having a routine that you keep on the day of performances. I guess it's a good thing it turned out pretty well, after all that "non-routine" stuff.
I had my jury this morning, and that also went pretty well. I didn't do so "hot" (those crazy kids!) on my scales/technique and made a few mistakes on the pieces, but in general I felt like I showed the piano faculty better playing than I had in previous juries. It's not always the greatest feeling walking out of the juries, 'cause you finish your last piece and they say "thank you" and then you leave. Not exactly a "Fabulous, Tim...here's your A+, we'll see you next semester!" But later, when I was outside, Dr. Kiorpes (one of the faculty members) was getting back from his lunch break (or so it seemed) and he said, and I quote: "Congratulations on your jury today, Tim...you've much improved." Felt kind of good to hear that before I hear the final result from Dr. Willis. I meet with him (Dr. W) on Friday at 1:30 to find out my grade. Prayers for a good grade will be much appreciated.
Thanks again to everyone who came to the recital. You made it quite a memorable experience.
5 comments:
The recital was wonderful! And Dr. Kiorpas sounds like a smart man. Love you, Tim.
Correction: Kiorpes. And Dr. W sounds pretty smart, too. Recognized a successful recital.
How do you say "Kiorpes"?
good post Tim. good recital.
Great job Tim. Our musical tastebuds were tickled pink. We would give you an A.
Post a Comment