Well, my first week of Spring '06 is over. It's been my toughest first week ever, but it wasn't too stressful. I had to write a couple of page essays, read some theory articles, etc. Fun stuff.
On Mondays and Wednesdays, I get up and go to my first class (which is at 9:00), Professional Musician. In it, we learn how to succeed in the musical world. Supposedly, we're gonna learn how to make resumes [sic] and interview people and stuff like that. So far, all we've really gotten are helpful/inspirational tips on setting and reaching our goals. But hopefully it should be a good class.
On MWF at ten (I don't have Prof. Musician on Friday), I go down the hall to Advanced Tonal Analysis. I'm still recovering from last semester's Post-Tonal Theory... it's hard for me to believe that all the things we're studying actually have genuine key signatures. Should be cool, though...we're gonna study a Mozart symphony next week, I believe.
At 11, I have a break. Usually, I take this time to go to lunch, but today (technically yesterday, I suppose), I kind of forgot to, and this led to me being rather hungry around supper time, and I spent too much on supper as a result.
At noon MWF, I head to my favorite class...Men's Glee. This semester's ok, I suppose...the conductors are pretty nice people. We're singing something called "King David," which is a "symphonic psalm" based on the life of David. There is a line in one of the movements that goes "E'en though an host against me should rise, I shall not be afraid," and someone mentioned that "an host" didn't sound right, and that spurred a few comments. Someone said something about 'an' and "h", and then we talked about silent h's, etc. Fun stuff. We also argued just a tad about whether Philistine is pronounced "Phili-stine" or "Phili-steen". The conductor decided that we shall do it "steen," which I was happy about, since I had been brought up doing it that way. Thanks, Mom and Dad.
At 1 (still MWF), I go to psychology. It's kind of boring. I learned that Gandhi had Parkinson's Disease, but not too much else. Oh well...hopefully I'll just do well on the tests and be finished with it.
At 4 on Monday, I have rep class. That's where people in my studio play for each other...even though we didn't do that this week, we just talked about this semester. At 4 on Wednesday, we have convocation, which is pretty much everyone in the school of music playing for everyone.
On Tuesdays and Thursday at 9:30, I have Piano Literature. This is taught by my piano teacher, and hopefully it will be an interesting class. I have to have the Opus numbers and keys of all the piano sonatas by Beethoven memorized by Tuesday. It won't be easy, but again, hopefully t'will be interesting.
My piano lesson is on Thursday at one this semester. In the past, it's usually been on Tuesday. However, this semester is different. It's on Thursday. At one. Yep.
Organ Lessons and my small ensemble haven't really come together yet...I'll try and let you all know how those go.
Tonight, Cassandra and I went to Logan's house and watched "The Terminal" and played Uno. Then I came back here, and I thought I'd take the time to post a blog, since people are still visiting. Paul, Alex, and Saah are here for the weekend.
Am I allowed to "[sic]" something by myself?
I'm tired, I'm gonna see about getting to bed, soon. Be well, everyone.
26 comments:
Sure, why not? You want to sic your Saah or your piano lesson being on Tuesdays?
Thanks for a long refreshing blog! We were pretty parched around here. Gracie liked that you said something to her, too.
You are a good speller. You just have friends with exotic names. And your grammar is impeccable (by the way, I told you she sent you a note, right?)....
Even I am embarrassed by that pun. It's terrible!
And you are right.......I don't think Philistine should ever rhyme with Frankenstein. Especially in a serious song!
Quick, Tim, Beethoven's Sonata Number 4, what key??
Wow. Sounds right, based on my (very) limited research. I don't know movements from - ah - monkeys. Did you take the test?
Your grammer is in Peccable? wow :)
I thought psych was cool, maybe my teacher was better though
So then, you must have been good at Psychology? Maybe you should have been a psychologist, Ben. Let me see you stroke your beard and say, "Hmm...."
Peccable? It's another name for Columbus, I guess.
yes, if I stroke my beard perhaps I will coax it to come out of hiding
Tim, d'jou get the keys memorized?
Yes, Tim, did you? And you know I expect you to post a special blog on Jan. 24th or whatever day it is to remind us what a special day it is. Get my drift?
I don't get her drift...
She means the 27th...get it now? :D
um...
nope
Tim, you really need to do that blog on the 27th, or else Caitlin will do one in honor of BWA Day. Maybe she will anyway.
Sorry, Ben, if you are really in the dark, hold on. Only 4 days away. Mark your calendar.
Aw, Tim, chill, it's just Mozart :)
(I can see you tearing your shirt in outrage at my last comment.)
well, of course, Mozart's birthday. I thought you were talking about something else...
I wish I were taking post-tonal theory or advanced tonal analysis. Just so I could tell people that. Sounds so cool.
cool
23 opuses is a lot of opuses
opusi
Opera? Wow. That's surprising.
Who is M-W?
I thought maybe you meant Mr. Willis, but it would have to be Mr. Professor Doctor Willis or something.
Post a Comment